Wednesday, June 18, 2014

DREAM BOY blog tour: What's Your Dream?


Today I'm happy to be part of the What's Your Dream blog tour, in which we help announce the about-to-be-released DREAM BOY by Mary Crockett and Madelyn Rosenberg. This novel comes out July 1, so be sure to preorder it or put it on your to-read lists!

As per the tour, we tell a dream we recently had, or a recurring dream. Here's mine:
Helicopter whirring in the sky, looming. Feeling of dread. Loudspeaker blares from the helicopter. "Carol Pritchett…Carol Pritchett." It's commanding me to show myself. But I hide, ducking behind corners and angles of buildings. If they see me, the dark men aboard will shoot me with their machineguns. I dart from one building to another, fearing they've spotted me. The helicopter chops the air with its blades, flying overhead around the buildings, persistent in their hunt. "Carol Pritchett. Carol Pritchett!" I wake up with a yucky feeling in my mouth and a tight feeling in my chest.

Whew. I must've been feeling stressed to dream that. Pritchett was my maiden name. Go figure why the helicopter dudes shouted that…I haven't been a Pritchett for 31 years!

DREAM BOY
If dreams can come true…then so can nightmares.

One night Annabelle dreams of the perfect boy: tall and handsome with impossible blue eyes. Then, just as suddenly as he appeared, he’s gone…until he walks into her science class the next day. Perfect and REAL. The boy of her dreams. And when he brushes past her, he whispers “Annabelle.” Suddenly, Annabelle’s got the perfect boyfriend and a date to homecoming. Her life is like a dream come true—until her dreams stop and the nightmares begin.

"Hits the chick-lit and romance buttons, adding suspense and an intriguing idea as well for nicely rounded entertainment." --Kirkus Review

MY REVIEW
Not "just" a chick-lit story, which some people equate with a light, shallow read. This novel has depth, with lots to think about regarding our dreams (nighttime as well as daytime types), the subconscious, and the often blurry line between our desires and our realities. The dialogue and characters were intriguing as well as amusing; I cackled and laughed out loud OFTEN while reading this book! Delightful—5 stars!

Madelyn is on the left, Mary is on the right!
ABOUT MARY & MADELYN
Mary Crockett likes turtles, licorice, and the Yankees. Madelyn Rosenberg likes cats, avocados, and the Red Sox. Luckily they both like the weirdness of dreams (and each other) enough to write novels together. The friendship has survived three moves, six kids and countless manuscript revisions. Madelyn lives just outside of Washington, D.C. Mary remains in the mountains near their hometowns in southwestern Virginia. You can find them on Twitter @marylovesbooks and @madrosenberg. Or visit their blogs at  www.marycrockett.com  and  www.madelynrosenberg.com

PURCHASE LINKS
INDIE BOUND | AMAZON | BARNES & NOBLE | BOOK DEPOSITORY | POWELL'S

YOUR TURN
Do you have a recurring dream, or have you had a particularly vivid dream lately?
Do you like magical realism/contemporary fantasy type stories? If so, this book is for you!


16 comments:

  1. Ooh, that book sounds interesting.

    Your dream is scary!!! Is it a recurring dream? I have had a recurring dream since '96 about moving back to Japan. I used to have it about every 3 months on the dot - now it's not as often but I could never figure out why I keep having it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, mine isn't a recurring dream, Kimberly! Just a scary one-time one. So odd about your moving-back-to-Japan recurring dream. Very interesting!

      Delete
  2. Great review. I love the premise, though I can't say I'd personally want any of my dreams/nightmares to come true ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great book with a very eye-catching cover. I'm working on a YA now that incorporates dreams into reality...scary stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it comes to people, dreams and reality are nothing alike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good. I'm adding it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to Mary and Madelyn!

    Sounds like an intense dream, Carol! I sometimes have recurring dreams featuring tornadoes. I'm terrified of them, even though I've never seen one in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great book! That's a really weird dream you've been having. Are you stressed out in real life? Maybe the guys in the helicopter searching for you and you running away, is you trying to get away from problems or stress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ACK! I typed up one of my recurring dreams, congratulated Mary and Madelyn and then clicked on log out.

    Congrats, Ladies!

    Strange dream, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the cover of Dream Boy.
    As to my dreams, now and then I dream I lose my glasses. Always disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't had recurring dreams, but I have had dreams I wouldn't want to come true, for sure. Yours was pretty scary. Meanwhile, the book sounds like a good read. Quite and interesting and original premise. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool! I've been too busy and stressed to pause and think about my dreams lately, so I really wouldn't know, but this sounds great. Now I want to get myself a copy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have had recurring dreams, but most of them are not ones that I would want to live out in real life. Sounds like an interesting premise for a book, and how cool to work with another writer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, that is a stressful dream! If I'm lucky, I dream of story ideas. A lot of the time my dreams feel like video games, where all sorts of action is going on, some of it hectic, but never too scary or upsetting. One recurring dream I have is of the sea near my grandmother's summer house rising. Sometimes it's a stormy day, sometimes the sea covers the road, and once it came to the gates of the house - and one horrible time it rose all the way to the front door. I'm sure it relates to whatever's going on in my life at the time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow this sounds like an amazing book. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for helping spread the word about Dream Boy, Carol. I really appreciate it! What a crazy dream! Wild!

    Thanks also to everyone who added Dream Boy to your wish list! Much appreciated. It is now (Hooray!) out in the world!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, bloggy buddies! I respond to all comments via email if you have an address linked to your profile. Sorry, I have had to turn OFF comments from Anonymous users due to Spam.