Wednesday, July 2, 2014

I'm a Strange Chemistry Orphan

On June 18th, I got a call from my agent, Kelly Sonnack.

Bad news. Strange Chemistry was closing down, effective immediately, and would no longer be my publisher. My debut release for THE BODY INSTITUTE would not be January 2015 as planned. 

Argh—what?? 

That wasn't what I wanted to hear, only a little over 5 months away from being published. Finally, after over 10 years of writing and submitting. Finally, after writing more than 14 novels. At last my book was available for preorder on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Book Depository, and Powell's--it was so cool! Not to mention I'd started an author page and a book presence on Goodreads. This was NOT a bump in the road I wanted to experience.

But over the bump I went. Kelly and I devised a game plan. I readjusted my mental expectations (no, I probably won't be published before I'm 55). I changed my online bios, tweaked my website, and adjusted my Facebook and Goodreads author pages. Back to square ONE. Ack.

Twitter blazed with wonderful support and sympathy for the Strange Chemistry orphans. So did my friends on Facebook when I posted the news. We orphans banded together via email, commiserating and encouraging each other. We're certainly not the first to whom this has happened, and we won't be the last. Whether a publishing house is small or large, imprints close down on occasion. Merges happen, editors leave, entire houses shut down.

I'm certainly grateful this happened to me this far out, rather than closer to my release date. How horrible it must be for all those debut writers who were closer to their launches. Hugs, everyone. 

The past 2 weeks, I've pushed myself to keep writing. Revising another manuscript. Because I won't make any progress on my writing journey if I stop in the middle of the road.  

ONWARD!

YOUR TURN
Had you heard the news of Strange Chemistry's closure yet?
Are you unable to write when you're sad or upset, or is it a good distraction?
Do you find it difficult to carry on after major disappointments in your writing journey? (Such as query/manuscript rejections, parting ways with an agent, losing a great critique partner, receiving a brutally honest critique, reading a harsh review.)


20 comments:

  1. Waah! I'm so, so sorry, Carol. That really stinks. :-(

    I'm glad that your fellow SC authors have been so supportive. I hope your amazing agent has a solution.

    In the words of the inventor-protagonist from Meet the Robinsons: "Keep Moving Forward."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've told you this before, but I'm so sorry, Carol! On the other hand, things do tend to happen for a reason. I'm sure something even better is coming down the pike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear that, Carol! Hope this will be the beginning of something even better. And remember - whatever happens, you were chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very sad to hear this and especially about your book. I am so looking forward to buying and reading it at some point soon! I know you'll get there, you're such an awesome writer. I think it is hard to write when I feel down but most of the time it doesn't take long before I'm back at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I write my disappointments into my stories. I take those emotions, find a moment where one of my characters would be feeling the same thing, and purge. It's very cathartic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's terrible news! I hadn't heard. And yes, I have a hard time writing if I'm really upset. Small annoyances however can sometimes fuel me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Writing definitely makes a good distraction. Many many hugs to you, Carol. I hope your amazing story finds a new home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry! Is your agent shopping your book around for another publisher now?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that you can't stop in the middle of the road. Here's hoping that your agent can find you another house in short order.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tend to work harder during bad times, because I believe writing makes things better.

    I was sad to hear this. A writer's hopes and dreams hangs on these situations, but I believe that if one is that close, another yes is in the horizon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You hit the nail on the head. Onward.

    It will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I write a lot when I'm sad or depressed. It does help me deal with a crisis, and some of the writing is useful.

    I am sad to hear the publisher closed. But, at least you know Body Institute can attract a publisher.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry to hear they closed, but your idea to move onward is good! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Still so bummed that such a great producer of spec fiction books went down. I'm glad you're moving on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So very sorry, Carol. But that's great how you and your agent are devising another plan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no! I hope something even better turns up instead. Good on you to keep writing! And you're right - it would have been far worse closer to the publication date.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ouch! I'm glad you and your agent have a plan and that you are moving forward!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think yours was the case I saw on Twitter--I remember the author's agent was Kelly Sonnack. She's a rock star agent, so you're in good hands. I have a feeling you'll end up with a good home for it and, in the end, you'll realize the line closing was a blessing in disguise.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so glad you are pushing forward. That's all you can do. I know the right publisher is out there.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so sorry, Carol. I know how much you were looking forward to your publication. Well done on pushing forward. I tend to get depressed or distracted when big stuff goes on. I'm trying to push forward after our basement flooded last week. I decided that because I couldn't write in a messy house, I would do some critiquing for a couple good friends. It's been a welcome distraction and keeps me sitting still for an hour or so a day, which is good for my aching back.

    Keep your chin up. (hug)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, bloggy buddies! I respond to all comments via email if you have an address linked to your profile. Sorry, I have had to turn OFF comments from Anonymous users due to Spam.